Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wovoka as the Christ




Tonto mistakenly thought that he had come upon a revival of the Ghost Dance, not too long ago when attending a Grateful Dead concert. Being truly inspired that I had discovered a sect who believed that a great new Indian Messiah had come to liberate them from the scourge of white people, I wished them well for the apocalypse they were summoning, during which time the earth would be destroyed, only to be recreated with their tribe as the inheritors of the new earth. I was certain of my anthropological find, because these dancers seemed to be engaged in the ceremonial cleansing, which was a form of meditation and prayer, which included chanting, and most importantly, dancing the Ghost Dance. I am sure that you can understand my confusion, when they stopped their dance and said to me, “Dude, you the fuzz or what?” All I could say back was, “Mellow Out. Hey, is that China Cat Sunflower?”

No comments:

Post a Comment