Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Let me tell you... don't you look at those illustrations too long, because they'll come alive and they'll tell you stories.



When I modeled for the illustration of this book cover, I thought—why not make the best out of an unfortunate mishap. When Tonto had entered the parlor, I specifically stated that I wanted a tattoo of the word “Mom” on my left bicep. I guess you could say that it was partly my fault for falling asleep, but when I awoke, I was covered from head to toe with ink. Apparently Fat Eddie had made the mistake of combining coffee and antihistamines and got slightly carried away. Since tattoos are viewed in our society as a way of uniquely identifying a person’s self-expressions and personal beliefs, I suddenly realized I had somebody else’s story on my body. Slightly ill at ease, I broached the subject to Eddie of what was covering me now, and he said it was a tribute to the film The Breakfast Club. Upon reflection, I realized that if they don't tell a story that grabs you emotionally, then they're just there for decorations. And if there isn’t any emotional appeal, to my way of thinking, they aren’t real tattoos. Now I just say that it is a tribute to the film Fight Club, and put my shirt back on really quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment