Monday, May 23, 2011

Chops



Tonto Fielding expanded his acting résumé when playing an extra on an episode of Extras, starring Ricky Gervais. Being fully aware that getting noticed would require the ability to express a variety of emotions without ever uttering a single word, I would follow in the footsteps of my idol Lon Chaney and brought my own makeup kit. Tonto was familiar with what it was like to be an outsider, to be at once a part of the everyday world and simultaneously distanced from it. And this would be the key to the art of acting, the art of continual transformation, which comes from a desire to become someone else, to leave your own skin and enter another’s. Hence I became “Quasimodo eating a sandwich at catering table.” I have been told that I nailed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment